Re: How does html editor "talk" to LilyPond ?

From: Christopher Berg
Subject: Re: How does html editor "talk" to LilyPond ?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 22:36:33 -0400

Thanks for your help, Mike.

After experimenting a bit I realized I actually had to put "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond-book" in order for Terminal to find lilypond-book. (This is probably understood by most of you here, but I didn't realize it.) Is it common practice to move lilypond-book out of LilyPond's Resources/bin to a more convenient location, or does one always use this long path?

I did have a successful run, but the music examples were scattered about my home directory. Is there a way to specify an images folder into which lilypond-book could put the images?

Terminal gave me the message:

 *** Warning: GenericResourceDir doesn't point to a valid resource directory.
               the -sGenericResourceDir=... option can be used to set this.

but I really don't know what this means or what to do with the information.

Finally, it took a long time to compile and seems as though it might actually be quicker to typeset the examples in lilypond, give the images a name that made sense when looking at the html, put them into an images folder for the web project, write my own alt tag in the html file, and end up with something like this:

src=""
alt="[fantasia theme]">

as opposed to something like this:

src=""
alt="[image of music]">

Anyway, I am just wondering what the experiences of other html-to-lilypond-book users are. As I mentioned before, I've had success using lilypond-book in TexShop for LaTeX documents, but it seems that when using lilypond-book with an html file, I'd have to go back and change file names, move things into more convenient folders, and change some of the html code to end up with a convenient and understandable folder structure.