Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:47:27 +0200

Am 2011-08-22 um 11:34 schrieb Joseph Wakeling:

On 08/19/2011 09:47 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
No, they don't. They don't want a free world at all - did you read their
rules?

The "winner" has to give all rights to this city hall, and the contest and its sponsors must appear an all publications of the piece forever!

Er, no.  They are asked to give up the usual authors' rights for
_performance of the winning work during the contest_ (until the 18th
December 2011).  It says nothing about rights for future performances.

So I black-heartedly mis-read them. I’m sorry.

(Here's the link again:
http://mmp.cm-cascais.pt/NR/rdonlyres/5BBEE22D-3C21-4996-AEFE-A2C0B2FAF9C9/12487/regulMCIngles2.pdf)

"he (or she) will give up the usual authors' rights for performances of the winning work or any
other promotional events *during the contest*"

As for the request that you mention the fact that it was competition
winner in all future CD liner notes, programme notes etc., that's hardly an onerous obligation is it? It's only polite, not to mention mutually
beneficial.

Ok, here’s the "forever" part.

"""
Any future performances, recordings or commercial editions of the awarded works must include, in program notes, CD/DVD's booklets and scores, the mention " Winner of the 1st International Composition Prize Machado e Cerveira - 2011", or “Mention of Honour in the 1st International Composition Prize Machado e Cerveira -2011”, as well as the mention “This prize had the financial support of the Ministry of Culture”, followed by the MC (Ministry of Culture),
CMC (Cascais Town Hall) and CMM (Mafra Town Hall) logos.
"""

"*Any* future ... *must* include, in ... scores(!), followed by the ... logos."

Of course a proud composer would mention this contest. But including the sponsor’s logos? Forever??
If you don’t become famous, it’s no problem.
But imagine you’d have to credit each of Mozart’s, Bach’s etc. principals including their coat of arms in every kind of publication? (Ignoring that they're in the public domain now.)

I had to typeset/layout a lot of gastronomical PR stuff - it’s really a PITA to always include all supplier logos (brewery etc.), just because they helped paying! (Try to get logos in a printable quality! Some of them you’ll get as a fax every time, and afterwards they complain that’s not in color... A bunch of different logos spoils every good layout.)

(Why does anyone care about a concerts for six organs at all? I'm just a humble folk musician, but I know there are great organs around where you
don't need six organists playing at once. I can't imagine there's any
musical advantage of six small organs over a good, big one...)

There are things you can do with twelve hands, that you can't with two
...  To be honest, musically speaking this looks like a fantastic
concept: the opportunity to write music for a very particular location
with very particular acoustic and sonic properties.

I can imagine very particular disharmonies due to the distance and spreading of these organs.
But of course it might be interesting to play with "surround" effects.

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm