Re: New LilyPond tutorial

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New LilyPond tutorial
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:27:41 +0200

Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Wednesday, 24. August 2011, 10:42:23 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> I'd like to point to
>> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Ethical-and-Philosophic
>> al-Consideration> from the guidelines for maintainers of GNU projects.
>>
>>     A GNU package should not refer the user to any non-free
>>     documentation for free software.
>
> I consider this tutorial additional material, not core documentation, so I
> don't see this as an issue...

I don't see the difference really.  If it is useful or desirable for
working with Lilypond, it would appear to me that it is useful or
desirable as a basis for writing further material, or for adapting it to
future versions of Lilypond, or for printing out and passing to a
friend, or for using as a basis for one's own websites.

Being able to do all that is an important part of what it means for
Lilypond to be free software.  Stopping short of that goal is not a
crime, but it is a difference that we should be thinking twice about.
Sort of like a vegetarian magazine taking ads for a "meat-and-potatoes"
dish producer.  Even if the rationale is "those people would not be
eating potatoes at all if it weren't for that product".

--
David Kastrup