Re: shorten a broken hairpin at a linebreak?

From: harm6
Subject: Re: shorten a broken hairpin at a linebreak?
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:41:00 -0700 (PDT)

David Nalesnik-2 wrote:

>> tweaking the decrescendi like the diminuendi and doing some minor
>> changes, I
>> come up with:

Ooops, should be: tweaking the crescendi like the diminuendi

> Looks great!  I'll definitely use this, though something tells me I won't
> run into quite as extreme a situation as your example :)

I always test with most extreme examples, hoping to notice all possible
problems. :D

> Checking my just-bought copy of Gould, I find on pg. 104 the rule that a
> broken hairpin should stop on the barline, with an example involving a key
> change at the line break.  Maybe LilyPond's behavior should be reported as
> bug (I couldn't find it listed, anyway)

I think it's the intended default-behaviour. If I'm right, can you call it a
bug?
Anyway, I'd wish lilypond would be changed to follow Gould, as you pointed
out.

> with your function as a workaround?

The best parts of the function are Mike's and your's, so I don't think it is
"my" function

> (One tiny thing: Mike went to the trouble of writing functions to
> determine
> a grob's system, and for consistency you could replace my calls to
> ly:grob-system with his find-system.)

Do you think of lines 26 and 57 of the attached file?

Some other points:

Tweaking a TextSpanner I build:

\version "2.14.2"

textSpannerTweak = {
        \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) =
                \markup \italic \bold { "TextSpanner" }
        \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left-broken text) = ##f
        \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details right-broken end-on-note) =
##t
        \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details right-broken padding) =
#'-2.5
        \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details right padding) = #'-2.5
        \override TextSpanner #'style = #'line
}

%----------------------------- Test

\paper {
        indent = 0
}

\relative c'' {
        \textSpannerTweak
        \key bes\major
        \repeat unfold 4 { c c c c }
        \key d\major \break
        \repeat unfold 3 { c4 c c c }
        c\startTextSpan c c c
        \key ges\major \break
        \repeat unfold 3 { c c c c }
        c2 c
        \key cis\major \break
        \repeat unfold 3 { c4 c c c }
        c c\stopTextSpan c c
}

This is very simple and I'd wished it could have been done with the hairpins
in a similiar way.

But I'm not sure how to begin the tweaking of the DynamicTextSpanner.

engraver-init.ly states:
    crescendoSpanner = #'hairpin
    decrescendoSpanner = #'hairpin

spanners-init.ly states:
    crescTextCresc = {
        \set crescendoText = \markup { \italic "cresc." }
        \set crescendoSpanner = #'text
    }

So I'm afraid it has to be done in the same manner as the hairpins!?

Best,
  Harm

http://old.nabble.com/file/p32427649/testBrokenHairpin-2.ly
testBrokenHairpin-2.ly