new Voices and Lyrics

From: address@hidden
Subject: new Voices and Lyrics
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:09:51 +0200

Hey users,

This question has been kicked around a few times on this list, but I can't find
a current response, so I'm looking for some help.

In a piece I'm working on, the singers need to clap in rhythm and say text at
the same time.  In order to do this, I'm creating two voices - a text voice and
a clapping voice.  The text voice still needs lyrics attached to it, whereas
the clapping voice doesn't.

Here's a mockup of the only solution I've thought of so far:

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice = "foo" \relative c' { a b c
    << << \new Voice = "bar" { d e } \lyricsto "bar" \new Lyrics { i work } >>
\\
       \new Voice { f8 g a b } >>
   c4 d }
\lyricsto "foo" \new Lyrics { a b c d e }

There are a few problems with this approach:

1)  Lilypond drops the last two notes into the ether.
2)  The lyrics are typeset lower than the original line.

Is there a quick and easy way to do this sorta thing?  Ideally, I'd like not to
resort to having two voices running on the staff at all times (as the clapping
takes place late in the work and only once, so I'd need to create a voice with
a lot of skips in a piece that changes time signatures almost every measure).

Cheers,
MS