Re: Vowel with Umlaut

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Vowel with Umlaut
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 06:33:07 +1100

On 19/10/11 05:09, GRAEME F ST CLAIR wrote:
General reply to Messrs Rogers, Peekay and Kastrup!

In the end I googled lilypond and found the \char approach myself. Right now, I'm settling for it, because as DK hints, both TextPad and jEdit will save UTF-8 just fine, but the next time you open the file, you see mysterious blobs, not the intended character. That's why I committed "mangling" on my previous project!

But I intend to re-visit some German songs I lily'ed a few years ago, and obviously \char won't really hack it - I like the suggestion of Emacs, and will go looking for it.

jEdit works fine for me on both Linux and Windows in preserving extended characters across editing sessions. Just open Global Options from the Utilities menu and make sure that under encodings the default character encoding is UTF-8.

Nick