Re: Polyphony, ledger lines, and dotted notes

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Polyphony, ledger lines, and dotted notes
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:23:48 -0600

On 11-11-01 03:01 PM, Nick Payne wrote:
On 02/11/11 01:45, Phil Holmes wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:35 AM
Subject: Polyphony, ledger lines, and dotted notes

See below - the dots are differently placed depending on whether the
notes are in one voice or two:

\version "2.15.16"

\relative c' {
<d a d,>4.
<< { d } \\ { <a d,> } >>
}

According to Elaine Gould, they should be.  She says that downstem voices should have the dot in the space below the notehead, so this would make the lowest dot of the chord too high.  I think it's probably a matter of taste which is better, but a 2 voice chord will definitely be dotted differently from a one voice chord.

Yes, the dots on the lower voice should be both down, not one up and one down.

Nick

Is it possible this is related to Issue 1352: Polyphonic dots placement is inconsistent, confusing and prone to collisions ?

Cheers,
Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back.