2.14.2 vertical spacing ungrouped staves...

From: paul
Subject: 2.14.2 vertical spacing ungrouped staves...
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 04:14:24 +0000 (UTC)

I am having some difficulty with what should
perhaps be a simple task. I want to control the vertical spacing
in collection of ungrouped staves.
Reading some of the information
online about such a task reveals its perhaps no so basic.
Does one control this spacing in the \paper block in the
\layout block or in the score. Also there are numerous variables
one can change.
Each time I attempt to control the vertical spacing, nothing
 happens.
The music I have typeset has too much spacing in between
 the staves.
I am guessing this means 1) I am not changing the right variables, or
changing them in the right way or 2) I am making changes in
 the wrong part of the
source.
I've tried changing system-system-spacing in the \paper block
 but I get no change
in the output.
I am using 2.14.2

Is there please some advice/examples on how to complete
 this simple task ?

Paul