Re: 2.14.2 vertical spacing ungrouped staves...

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: 2.14.2 vertical spacing ungrouped staves...
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:15:08 +0100

On 11 November 2011 05:14, paul <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am having some difficulty with what should
> perhaps be a simple task. I want to control the vertical spacing
> in collection of ungrouped staves.
> Reading some of the information
> online about such a task reveals its perhaps no so basic.
> Does one control this spacing in the \paper block in the
> \layout block or in the score. Also there are numerous variables
> one can change.
> Each time I attempt to control the vertical spacing, nothing
>  happens.
> The music I have typeset has too much spacing in between
>  the staves.
> I am guessing this means 1) I am not changing the right variables, or
> changing them in the right way or 2) I am making changes in
>  the wrong part of the
> source.
> I've tried changing system-system-spacing in the \paper block
>  but I get no change
> in the output.
> I am using 2.14.2
>
> Is there please some advice/examples on how to complete
>  this simple task ?

No, system-system-spacing is for the spacing between the systems, and
as far as I understand your request you have a system consisitng of
several ungrouped staves (i.e. not contained within a StaffGroup, etc.)
and want to change the spacing between these staves, right?

In this case you should change, in the \layout block, the properties
default-staff-staff-spacing (or staff-staff-spacing) of Staff's
VerticalAxisGroup.

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing =
      #'((basic-distance . 8)
         (minimum-distance . 7)
         (padding . 1))

This is explained in the notation manual, NR 4.4.1 Flexible vertical
spacing within systems > Spacing of ungrouped staves
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems.html#spacing-of-ungrouped-staves

Cheers,
Xavier

--