Re: How to shift music up/down a semi tone without changing key signatur

From: James
Subject: Re: How to shift music up/down a semi tone without changing key signature
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:21:40 +0000

Ole,

On 27 November 2011 01:05, ole <address@hidden> wrote:
a b c d | /transpose c b, { a b c d }

or do I misunderstand it completely?

ole

No you didn't :) Thank you for responding to what seemed a _very_ basic question.

What I should have said was

Take a _lilypond file_ , for example

%%%

\version "2.14.1"

Music = {
  \key d \major
  a b c d | a b c d |
}

\score {
  \relative c ' { \Music }
}

%%%

It's because of the \relative I think; the Notation Reference does actually talk about this - I don't think of 'transposing'  without thinking about the changing of the key signature, which I don't want to do. Hence I didn't even think to use \transpose!

So it seems I have to define the transposition within the 'Music' _expression_ itself:

Music = {
  \key d \major
  \transpose b c { a b c d | a b c d | a b c d }
}

Which keeps the key signature and does indeed shift the notes, great!

But then I cannot (seem to) use \relative and this becomes absolute octave entry exercise.

Unless I have misread the NR?

James