Wiring up a complex song

From: Dirkjan Ochtman
Subject: Wiring up a complex song
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 21:28:20 +0100

Hi there,

For my wedding (in three days), I decided to try and typeset all the songs for the service in Lilypond, so that everything is in style. Unfortunately, this one song is rather more complex and the others, and I'm failing to come up with the right incantations to make Lilypond do what I want.

It's an SAB song with a repeat in the first part (with different lyrics). Sopranos and altos share the same rhythm/lyrics (on a single staff), with the basses in a different staff (different rhythm). I started with the A.4.1 template from the learning manual, but I don't understand the Lilypond data model/structure well enough to get it right. Some assistance would be much appreciated.

Here's what I've currently got:

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff = women <<
      \new Voice = "S" {
        \voiceOne << \global \repeat volta 2 \Sa \Sb >>
      }
      \new Voice = "A" {
        \voiceTwo << \global \A >>
      }

    \context Lyrics \lyricsto sstart \womena
    \context Lyrics \lyricsto sstart \womenb
    \new Staff = men <<
      \clef bass
      \new Voice = "B" {
        \new Voice = "B" {
          << \global \B >>

This has gotten somewhat muddled as I tried a few things, but I think the gist of it should be clear? Here \Sa and \Sb are the first (to be repeated) and second part of the melody, for the sopranos, as named \relative c'' {} sections. \womena, \womenb, \womenc are \lyricsmode {} sections, where \womena and \womenb should share the same melody (i.e. the repeat) and \womenc should be set to the second part.

Any clues welcome, I obviously don't have enough experience with this! I've tried to peruse both the learning manual and the notation reference, but it's quite a bit to take in.

TIA,

Dirkjan