Re: duration and pitch in a function

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: duration and pitch in a function
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 09:45:52 +0100

Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> this compiles in 2.14.2 on my machine:
> --snip--
> \version "2.14.2"
>
> myFunction  = #(define-music-function (parser location foobar) (ly:duration?)
>   (make-music 'SequentialMusic 'elements (list
>     (make-music 'EventChord 'elements (list
>       (make-music 'NoteEvent 'duration foobar 'pitch (ly:make-pitch 1 0 0))
>     ))
>   ))
> )
>
> {
>       \myFunction #(ly:make-duration 2 0 1 1) r4
> }

Yes, it would.  Unfortunately, it would not compile with the current
version since the current version does not allow duration arguments to
be specified in anything but duration syntax (along with pitches, they
are one of two currently remaining special-cased argument types).

I really don't think that it is worth investing work into creating 2.14
sources if you want to have music functions meddling with durations and
other stuff in easily maintainable ways.

--
David Kastrup