Re: Footnotes documentation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Footnotes documentation
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:59:21 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> Le Dec 11, 2011 à 8:06 AM, David Kastrup a écrit :
>
>> Anyway, let's take a look at two contenders:
>>
>> There is an optional argument before number-pair giving the symbol, and
>> an optional markup text before the footnote.  So we do
>>
>> footnote =
>> #(define-music-function (parser location grob-name offset text footnote)
>>  ((symbol? '()) number-pair? (markup?) markup?)
>>  (_i "Attach @var{text} at @var{offset} with @var{text} referring
>> to @var{footnote} (use like @code{\\tweak})")
>>  (make-music 'FootnoteEvent
>>              'automatically-numbered (not text)
>>              'symbol grob-name
>>             'X-offset (car offset)
>>             'Y-offset (cdr offset)
>>             'text (or text (make-null-markup))
>>             'footnote-text footnote))
>>
>> And there you are.
>
> I still am having trouble seeing what grob this would footnote?

I have no idea.  I never used footnotes.  I am just giving you a single
\footnote command that can do everything that your four footnote
commands did previously.  Are you telling me you don't know what your
commands actually do?

> Here, '() gets set as the grob-name for footnote.

That is the default if _no_ grob-name is given before the coordinates,
and this default corresponds to _not_ setting grob-name.  Which is what
your footnote commands without "Grob" in their name do.

> So, if footnote worked like parenthesize, it'd presumably have code
> like:

I was in this case not talking about "parenthesize" any more since your
commands don't appear to bother about working on parts of a chord.  They
would need to apply tweaks or articulations to do that, and that does
not appear supported in the backend.  So just forget about that
parenthesize comments.  The current proposal just mimics what your
commands do for now, since your commands work at the override level
rather than at the tweak level.

You could presumably let them also work at the tweak level (and that
would presumably be a good idea in order to footnote individual chord
notes), but that would require additional backend support, and I am
currently just talking about the frontend.

--
David Kastrup