Re: Rehearsal Marks in a Frenched Score

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Rehearsal Marks in a Frenched Score
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 05:12:48 +0000 (UTC)

Nick Baskin <amphion13 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > In a large-scale Frenched score for band, I would like to have rehearsal
> > marks appear above the woodwinds as well as above the brass. In doing so,
> > however, I have encountered two problems in 2.14.2:
> >
> > 1) In adapting the snippet from NR 1.8.1 to refer to StaffGroup instead of
> > just Staff, the rehearsal marks are both printed above the topmost staff
> > instead of above the top staff in each system, as would be correct.
> > Explicitly adding the two engravers to the individual StaffGroups does not
> > solve the problem.

Note that the Internals Reference (2.2.65 Mark_engraver) indicates that you need
to move the Staff_collecting_engraver as well in order to have the mark show up
in the right place.

> Anyone have any further thoughts on this? I suppose I could add the Rehearsal
Mark engraver to the Staff context then manually go through and override it's
visibility on each staff as needed, but this strikes me as extremely tedious,
and if the process can be automated, that would be a great help.

If the idea above doesn't help, you might try adding the Mark_engraver to Staff
in a layout block, along with setting RehearsalMark visibility to #'(#f #f #f)
(or #'all-invisible).  Then, in the staves for which you want to have rehearsal
marks, set the visibility to #'(#t #t #f) (i.e. visible at beginning and middle
of lines, but not at end).

HTH,

Carl