Re: \midi syntax question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \midi syntax question
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:10:54 +0100

Albert Frantz <address@hidden> writes:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks very much for your reply.  I just updated the score as follows:
>
> \version "2.15.23"
> \header { tagline = ##f }
> mus = { <e g c'>1 }
> \score {
> \new Staff \with { \remove Time_signature_engraver } \clef bass
> \transpose c' a \mus \midi { } }
>
> Now it returns the following error:
>
> error: syntax error, unexpected MUSIC_FUNCTION
> \new Staff \with { \remove Time_signature_engraver } \clef bass
>                                                                 \transpose
> c' a \mus \midi { } }
>
> I'm guessing the \transpose function may have triggered an error? It
> works fine if I omit "\midi { }" from the file.

No it doesn't.  I don't understand why you would make unsubstantiated
claims like that.  The error message is just the same when omitting
\midi {} from the file.  \new Staff is followed by _one_ music
expression.  Typically it would be several expressions compounded by {
... }.  As you have written it, the staff is finished after \clef bass,
and LilyPond has no clue where to put the \transpose that does not make
sense in that position.

--
David Kastrup