Re: pdf to .ly?

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: pdf to .ly?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:00:40 -0500

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:47:06 +0100
Rutger Hofman <address@hidden> wrote:

> SharpEye also has a freeware version with some restrictions. One of
> them is that it does not generate MusicXML. It can create NIFF
> though, and I wrote a converter from NIFF to Lilypond: niff2ly.

Actually, there are two versions available for download.  The newer is
2.68, the older is 1.27.  Version 2.68 can save MusicXML and NIFF.
Version 1.27 only saves NIFF.

Neither version is freeware though.  Both have a 30 day limit.  The
good thing is that both work in Wine.

> niff2ly generates quite old Lilypond, so you will want to run
> convert-ly over its output, and it has its restrictions when voicing
> becomes complicated.
>
> Download niff and niff2ly from http://www.cs.vu.nl/~rutger/music.html

It's good to see this effort, as Visiv can discontinue MusicXML support
at will.  But please use decent release engineering.  *.old, *.orig and
*.a don't belong to the source release.

Maybe you could host the source it on Gitorious or Github?  Perhaps
NIFF belongs there too (fully unpacked and converted to UNIX newlines).

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin