Re: Bounties

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bounties
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:37:54 +0100

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, let's take the guitar string bend stuff as an example: I think
> that Lilypond would benefit *a lot* if this feature were implemented.
> Tuxguitar can export .ly files, but without the bend stuff.
>
> A skilled programmer should be able to implement this for, say, 300$.
> I cannot afford that, but I would spend 50$ or 100$. So I pay the
> money and hope that others join - but what if they don't? Does the
> programmer stop halfway and says: "sorry, I have implemented just 1/3
> of your wishes, so you can do string bends on the e string only.", or
> do I get my money back?

The usual way this gets tackled is that people _pledge_ an amount.  If
nobody takes up the work, the pledges don't get paid.

Getting pledges for something that is already finished and published is
not all that realistic.  At times, it may be hard enough to collect
previously made pledges.  But I don't see that we have the resources to
set up trust funds reasonably.

--
David Kastrup