Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development onLil

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development onLilyPond
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:36:38 +0000

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 01:30:12PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
> 2) set up a kickstarter to "perfect" that score, where "perfect"
> means "work on lilypond such that good output is produced with
> only semantic information".  No tweaks, no workarounds, etc.

Naturally, once a particular score (+ lilypond functionality) has
been "perfected", it would be folly not to add that score to some
sort of regression tests.  The first kickstarter should be padded
to include time+effort required to add multi-page output to the
regtests -- quite possibly adding a separate target for
  make largetests
so that normal development with "make test" are not unduly slowed
down by having those large scores.

I know that lots of people will want lots of fancy stuff like
lyrics, tablature, orchestral scores, contemporary notation, etc
-- but I really, really, strongly suggest that you aim to have a
turn-over of a month at most in the beginning, which means keeping
the first few scores being fairly simple and small.  It's always
easy to have more complicated scores later on.

- Graham