Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on Li

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on LilyPond
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:55:11 +1100

On 10/02/12 21:11, Janek Warchoł wrote:
2012/2/10 David Kastrup<address@hidden>:
Janek Warchoł<address@hidden>  writes:
- Sergei Rachmaninoff died in March 1943.  If we start a year-long
project now, we will finish roughly when most of his works will fall
out of copyright.
How would one cooperate while they are not yet out of copyright?  Want
to risk having your servers seized?
Typesetting can be done by one person.  Developer(s) enrolled in such
a project will receive privately only snippets from the work (->
quotation and fair use).  Or all testing would be done by the
typesetter; not hard to do.
Sure, it's not the best way to work, and if appropriate composition
from a longer-dead composer is found, we better do it instead and wait
with Rachmaninoff
till 2013.

Rachmaninoff's works are already available from IMSLP, because their servers are located in Canada, where copyright is life plus 50 years. But the download page for each of them is prefaced with a warning that the works may not yet be public domain in your country.

Nick