Re: Leading Barline with Staff Size Increase

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Leading Barline with Staff Size Increase
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 11:19:45 +0100

On 18 February 2012 04:31, Mark Mathias <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings List,
> This is my first post. Hope I've followed protocol.

Yep, welcome.

> If I follow the suggestion for increasing staff and symbol size, a leading
> bar line appears. I have tried a number of experiments to get rid of it,
> only to reinforce my ignorance of the inner workings of Lilypond.

Looks like a bug to me.
Unless someone disagree I will report it as such on bug-lilypond.

Since you have one staff only scores, you could use

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \remove "System_start_delimiter_engraver"

as a workaround.

> Perhaps I should post a 2nd time for another issue related to the blanks
> below the notes in the first line of music (see attachment)? I'd like
> them printed lower so that a student may write the note name in pencil on
> the blank line.  The suggested code in the Lilypond documentation doesn't
> seem to do anything no matter where I put it:
> \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-8 . 8)

Hmm, please post the code you used.
Do you want to increase the space between the staff and the small lines
( "_" )?  What did you use for these?  A Lyrics context?
Or do you want to increase the space between the staff (first  \score
block) and the markup that follows it?

If you use version 2.14, as it seems, you should read the documentation
of version 2.14.  The vertical spacing system has been changed between
2.12 and 2.14 and I doubt it is still suggested to override any
  VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent
in 2.14 documentation.  Please see  NR 4.1 Page layout  and
NR 4.4 Vertical spacing  of doc 2.14.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/page-layout.html
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/vertical-spacing.html

Cheers,