Re: Is there an equivalent of #define ... #ifndef ... #endif in lilypond

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Is there an equivalent of #define ... #ifndef ... #endif in lilypond?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 01:50:35 -0800 (PST)

David Kastrup wrote:

> Oh, the $(if ) method can perfectly handle variables which are a book.
> It is just LilyPond that does not accept a book identifier at top
> level.  So you have to write something like
> \book { $(if includeGuitar GuitarBook) }
> and rely on an empty book not having an effect.
>
> Yes, this is a bit awkward.  If you are fine with downloading,
> compiling, and installing _source_ to a degree that you do it without
> asking twice just because of some outdated information, tracking the
> development version (including testing out patches as they come) will
> not likely be a big step for you.
>
> And anyway: it is likely that you have now LilyPond 2.15.9 plastered all
> over /usr/local already, and you might as well plaster the current
> development version over it instead of trying to remove all that so that
> it does not shadow "standard" precompiled versions.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I find it hard when groping in the dark with two unfamiliar languages to pin
down which of them is not doing what I want it to do, and to distinguish
what might be a fault in the implementation of the languages from a (much
more likely) fault in my code.

However, my own limited experience of writing software for others to use has
shown that the blundering path of a novice in unfamiliar territory can
reveal faults in nooks and crannies that an experienced user wouldn't stray
into!

The process of downloading, compiling and installing a source package is not
all that fearsome to me - because there is a very clear set of instructions
- unless it fails at some point, when I'm unlikely to be able to sort out
the problem.

I'm probably not even looking in the right place, but I wouldn't know how to
start "tracking the development version".

I see that 2.16 is due out shortly - I can't work out whether this will
include the solution to issue 2343 (which emerged from this thread). If so,
I'm quite happy to adjust the faulty filenames by hand until it's released.