Re: Incipit troubles in 2.14

From: James
Subject: Re: Incipit troubles in 2.14
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:16:08 +0000

Hello,

On 29 February 2012 08:42, Stefan Waler <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 28.02.2012 18:44, schrieb James:
>>

>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-02/msg00210.html
>>
>> might be useful.
>>
>> While I am certainly no expert at this I picked a random .ly file from
>> the referenced website in the thread and was able to compile this with
>> 2.14.1 - there were some minor syntax issue with the \header block (as
>> these are actually 2.11.x ly files) but it seems that they produce
>> incipits but just in a different way.
>>

> Sorry, but the example in the thread you reffered to uses an approach for
> incipits that has some shortcomings and is kind of "out-dated". We have had
> a lot of discussions about this and finally somebody who I don't remember
> came up - several years ago - with a much better solution which produced a
> very smart output.
>
> Now it seems that this does not work anymore in version 2.14. None of my
> ancient music scores compiles in 2.14.2 at this time.

Right, but the 'out dated' solution works. That was why I suggested
it. Any solution is better than no solution if you need it 'now'.

> Is there anybody around who can make a diagnosis why this function does not
> work anymore?

Possibly, but I am not one of them unfortunately. Ask the question on
the developer list.

> Is there anybody currently working on support for incipits and/or ancient
> music in lilypond? As I remember, there were some attempts to develop a
> sustainable solution?

Not that I am aware of no. There was some work last year with some of
the glyphs and spacing issues but not much else. Even the
documentation is probably getting out of date by now.

Regards

James