Re: Aleatoric / modern notation

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Aleatoric / modern notation
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:18:42 +0100

On Mar 11, 2012, at 8:53 AM, James Harkins wrote:

> At Sun, 11 Mar 2012 08:12:35 +0100,
> address@hidden wrote:
>> The best way to achieve that with current LilyPond is Scheme engravers.
>>
>> There have been a few examples of Scheme engravers posted on this list (if
>> you search Scheme engraver you'll find one - there are also examples in the
>> input/regression folder of the LilyPond source).  You'd want to create one
>> that begins and ends a spanner when it hears a given event (you can invent a
>> BoxNoteEvent, for example) and acknowledges note columns in the interim,
>> putting them in a grob-array called "note-columns" or what-have-you.  Then,
>> make a print method that extracts these note columns (or whatever grobs
>> you're interested in) finds the min/max height and width, and draws a box at
>> those dimensions.
>>
>> If you want to get fancy, you can add extra spacing width to the left of the
>> first note column and the right of the last note column to make sure there
>> are no collisions with the box and surrounding material.
>
> I see... would it be too much to ask you to send your engraver to me (off
> list if you prefer)? That's of course assuming you developed one for your own
> music. Normally I don't mind doing some research and experimentation on my
> own, but in this case --

Unfortunately, the way I created mine was way hackish and not at all
extensible, intelligent, or suitable to your needs (I hijacked a beam grob).
The best thing to do is go ahead w/ the score as if it were to have boxes and
then put something like :

c d
%\startBoxedNotes
e f g
%\endBoxedNotes

wherever you need it.  There are enough people on this list who know Scheme
that someone is likely to pop up w/ a more fleshed-out solution in the next 6
weeks, and if not, in 6 weeks (if not less), I'll have some time to give it a
go.

Cheers,
MS