Re: midiInstrument changes play one note too late.

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: midiInstrument changes play one note too late.
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:07:07 -0400

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Hans Aikema <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 14-3-2012 18:37, Hans Aikema wrote:
>>
>> On 14-3-2012 18:01, Michael Ellis wrote:

>> You're correct Michael,
>>
>> I misread the report... but I think it's likely that the instrument change
>> is 'a note too late' due to the same issue. I'll do some experimenting on it
>> and will get back to you.
>>
>> regards,
>> Hans

>> .
>>
> Michael,
>
> This looks like an issue with Quicktime:
> - When I play your midi it in Windows 7's Media player the instrument
> changes are at the right time.
> - When I convert it to a wave-file in Windows using Timidity++ the
> instrument changes at the right time
> - When I play it using Noteworthy Composer Viewer
> (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/viewer.htm) the instrument changes
> are at the right time
> - When I play it in Quicktime for Windows 7.7.1 (build 1680.42) the
> instrument changes a note too late
> - When I play it in Quicktime Player (7.6.6 (build 1710)) for Mac OS X
> (10.7.3) the instrument changes a note too late.
>
> If you ask me, I see a pattern there ;)
>

> regards,
> Hans

Me, too.  Thanks very much for digging into it.  I confirmed that
LilyPondTool's player doesn't have the problem on OS X.  QMidi also
seems ok.   It's kind of wild that there are no reports when I search
for "QuickTime midi instrument change delay" etc.  Guess most Mac
users don't listen very closely :-)

Cheers,
Mike