Re: Point-and-click on Frescobaldi?

From: James
Subject: Re: Point-and-click on Frescobaldi?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:36:06 +0000

Father Gilbert

On 14 March 2012 23:35, Father Gordon Gilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks, Wilbert,
>
> I had figured it was something like that, but I am too far from geeky
> to be able to implement something that complicated.  I certainly do
> make use of it, though!
>
> I have another problem now, however.
>
> When I upgraded Lily to the latest (2.15.33) and began to use Fresco
> again to work on a new file, the whole thing seems broken!  Not sure
> what I did, but in the compliation panel, all I get is the following:
>
> Starting lilypond-windows.exe. [file.ly]...
> Could not start lilypond-windows.exe.
> Please check path and permissions.
>
> I didn't *actively* do anything to the path or permissions, and I even
> tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Frescobaldi and LilyPond,
> with no improvement.
>
> Where to I look to find the problem, and how can I fix it?  Holy Week
> is coming up, and I have some things I need to do!  Help!
>
> Thanks for a fantastic program.

I have realised that *if* you do not have LilyPond in your 'path' (see
my last email to you) and you need to add it, the instructions will be
slightly different depending if you are running Windows XP or Windows
7 - as things like file names and where settings are have changed.

What I would do because I forgot we had added this to our instructions
on teh website is to look here

http://lilypond.org/windows.html

See 'Running on the command line' section. This tells you how to check
and configure.

I do not know your technical ability (so sorry if I am patronizing you
- many of us on these lists take it for granted users know how to
configure these settings in Windows) to understand how to set a PATH
etc. and as I know you have a very limited internet connection so are
not permanently online, can you let me know if my last response is
helpful and if not which version of Windows you are using and I can
give you more detailed instructions in 'one go'

James