Re: hiding accidentals

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: hiding accidentals
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 08:53:36 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mar 16, 2012, at 7:16 AM, Jeffrey Trevino wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm having trouble hiding accidentals in the middle of a glissando, where
>> there will be notes without slurs, noteheads, or accidentals. Why doesn't my
>> "hide-accidental" override work here?:
>>

>> \new Staff <<
>>     \new Voice {
>>         \voiceOne
>>         \parenthesize
>>         d'4 \glissando ~
>>         {
>>             s8. ~
>>             s32
>>             s32
>>             s2 ~
>>         }
>>         \once \override NoteHead #'hide-accidental = #'#t
>
> Hey Jeff!
>
> \once \override Accidental #'stencil = ##f will give you what you're after.
> Also, I've never seen #'#t.  It seems to work,

#t is self-evaluating, so quoting it does not change the result for
evaluation.

Why anyone would bother to write something as butt-ugly as that is a
different question.

> but I generally see ##f or ##t in scores.

Yup.  Like with trailing parens on lines of their own, there is no point
in diverging from established practice.  You want to have readers focus
on the _important_ parts of the code, not the trivial ones.

--
David Kastrup