Re: MIDI export and partial bars

From: Nils
Subject: Re: MIDI export and partial bars
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 22:55:55 +0200

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 17:12:46 +0200
Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A query about MIDI export, which relates to a feature request I have in mind
> but
> would like to confirm is feasible.
>
> Lilypond's MIDI export has problems with partial opening measures.  This
> means
> that import into other programs will fail to place barlines correctly, and
> that
> MIDI players which display bar/beat numbers will also display wrongly -- e.g.
> in
> the Frescobaldi MIDI player, as described here:
> https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/issues/43
>
> There's an easy workaround, which is to define an alternative opening to the
> music using rests instead of a \partial measure:
> http://osdir.com/ml/lilypond-user-gnu/2009-06/msg00418.html
>
> ... but this is imperfect, as it inserts silence at the opening of the MIDI
> file
> and also still results in bar numbering being offset by 1.
>
> So, the question is, is it feasible to properly encode a pickup bar in MIDI,
> that is, to have the starting notes identified as belonging to the last notes
> of
> bar 0?  Will this be accepted or understood by MIDI players and other
> software's
> import functionality?
>
> Thanks for any advice and comments,
>
> Best wishes,
>
>      -- Joe

Midi understands time signatures:
What I did in Laborejo.org is to start with a measure which has a timesignature
of the length of the upbeat and after that place the original timesig.

That said I don't care about Lilyponds midi export at all. I want Lilypond to
engrave PDFs. Midi export should be done one level higher. Needless to say this
is exactly what Laborejo does: One sourceformat with a high enough information
density to both generate Lilypond and Midi without any subtle information lost.

Nils