Re: Flying ties

From: James Worlton
Subject: Re: Flying ties
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:58:35 -0500

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM, James Worlton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>> James
>>
>> On 13 April 2012 16:30, James Worlton <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I've found some odd tie behavior--not sure if it's known currently.
>>> Sorry, currently I can't test whether it also happens in earlier
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> The following code creates a "flying tie" situation around the upper
>>> and lower notes of the chord, in other words the ties lie far outside
>>> the staff. This happens probably because of the accidentals on the new
>>> line--if you take the \key out, removing the accidentals, the ties
>>> stay close to the notes:
>>>
>>> \version "2.15.36"
>>> \score {
>>>  \new Staff {
>>>    \relative a' {
>>>      \key des \major
>>>      <a d f>1~ \break
>>>      q1
>>>    }
>>>  }
>>> }
>>>
>>> James Worlton
>>>

>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=379
>>
>> is one of many tie issues
>>
>> or if not this one
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=ties&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Stars+Owner+Patch+Needs+Summary&cells=tiles
>>
>> one of these will probably be this.
>>
>> It's also an area on our Google Summer of Code page
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/gsoc.html
>>
>> Not that 'helps' you.
>>
>> James
>
> Ah, okay. Sorry for the noise. I wish I had some coding skills and/or
> money to help the situation.
>
> James Worlton

While playing around with tie settings I discovered that putting in a
dummy override and copying one of the values from the 'details list
will make the "flying tie" problem disappear:

\version "2.15.36"
\paper {
    #(set-paper-size "a7")
}
musicA = \relative a' {
      \key des \major
      <a d f>1~^"default" \break
      q1
    }
musicB = \relative a' {
      \key des \major
      \override Tie #'details = #'((ratio . 0.333))
      <a d f>1~^"dummy override" \break
      q1
    }

\score {
  \new Staff {
    \musicA \break \musicB

Not sure what this means for the squashing of the bug, but it's
a workaround at least.

James Worlton