Re: Flying ties

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Flying ties
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:32:22 -0500

Hi James,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM, James Worlton <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM, James Worlton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>> James
>>
>> On 13 April 2012 16:30, James Worlton <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I've found some odd tie behavior--not sure if it's known currently.
>>> Sorry, currently I can't test whether it also happens in earlier
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> The following code creates a "flying tie" situation around the upper
>>> and lower notes of the chord, in other words the ties lie far outside
>>> the staff. This happens probably because of the accidentals on the new
>>> line--if you take the \key out, removing the accidentals, the ties
>>> stay close to the notes:
>>>
>>> \version "2.15.36"
>>> \score {
>>>  \new Staff {
>>>    \relative a' {
>>>      \key des \major
>>>      <a d f>1~ \break
>>>      q1
>>>    }
>>>  }
>>> }
>>>
>>> James Worlton
>>>

>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=379
>>
>> is one of many tie issues
>>
>> or if not this one
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=ties&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Stars+Owner+Patch+Needs+Summary&cells=tiles
>>
>> one of these will probably be this.
>>
>> It's also an area on our Google Summer of Code page
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/gsoc.html
>>
>> Not that 'helps' you.
>>
>> James
>
> Ah, okay. Sorry for the noise. I wish I had some coding skills and/or
> money to help the situation.
>
> James Worlton

While playing around with tie settings I discovered that putting in a
dummy override and copying one of the values from the 'details list
will make the "flying tie" problem disappear:

\version "2.15.36"
\paper {
   #(set-paper-size "a7")
}
musicA = \relative a' {
     \key des \major
     <a d f>1~^"default" \break
     q1
   }
musicB = \relative a' {
     \key des \major
     \override Tie #'details = #'((ratio . 0.333))
     <a d f>1~^"dummy override" \break
     q1
   }

\score {
 \new Staff {
   \musicA \break \musicB

Not sure what this means for the squashing of the bug, but it's
a workaround at least.

James Worlton

This is really interesting!  I don't have any explanations, just an observation.  Your override clears 'details except for 'ratio.  Using the entire default list and commenting out entries one by one leads to some interesting results.  Below is where the "flying ties" stop.  (You get some variation with the remaining lines, too.)

Not sure what it means, but maybe this observation is useful for correcting a bug, if such it is.

-David

\version "2.15.36"
\paper {
   #(set-paper-size "a7")
}
musicA = \relative a' {
     \key des \major
     <a d f>1~^"default" \break
     q1
   }
musicB = \relative a' {
     \key des \major
     \override Tie #'details =
     #'(
      ;(ratio . 0.333)
     ;(center-staff-line-clearance . 0.6)
     ;(tip-staff-line-clearance . 0.45)
     ;(note-head-gap . 0.2)
     ;(stem-gap . 0.35)
     ;(height-limit . 1.0)
     ;(horizontal-distance-penalty-factor . 10)
     ;(same-dir-as-stem-penalty . 8)
     ;(min-length-penalty-factor . 26)
     ;(tie-tie-collision-distance . 0.45)
     ;(tie-tie-collision-penalty . 25.0)
     ;(intra-space-threshold . 1.25)
     ;(outer-tie-vertical-distance-symmetry-penalty-factor . 10)
     (outer-tie-length-symmetry-penalty-factor . 10)
     (vertical-distance-penalty-factor . 7)
     (outer-tie-vertical-gap . 0.25)
     (multi-tie-region-size . 3)
     (single-tie-region-size . 4)