Re: String Bass Notation

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: Re: String Bass Notation
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:46:38 -0400

I'm a bass player who studied with Larry Hurst in the early 70s and a public school string teacher, so I've seen a lot of notation, but never what you are describing. The snap pizzicato has the line drawn vertically through the top of the circle only and the thumb symbol (a fingering indication --- very unlikely in the situation you describe) is a circle with the vertical line extending downward from the bottom. Both are implemented in LilyPond:
c4\snappizzicato c\thumb

HTH!
Mark

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Tim Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:
-Eluze wrote:
> Tim Roberts wrote:
>> This is a hand-drawn score.  I'm thinking that they probably meant snap
>> pizzicato, and it was easier to draw the line all the way through than
>> to stop part way through.  Snap pizzicato would fit in the context, and
>> I have found no source that shows the exact "phi" symbol.  Have any of
>> you string players seen that notation?
> sorry, I didn't find this score - am  i missing something?

No, I didn't attach an image because I didn't get a chance to grab a
copy.  I "assumed" my description would be sufficient...

--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.