Re: measure counter engraver

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: measure counter engraver
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 07:10:16 -0500

David,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
David Nalesnik <address@hidden> writes:

> The examples are written to work with the latest versions. (I'm using
> the current release candidate.)

Then one could use make-engraver.

True, true.  My motivation here was to allow it to work with earlier versions.  It's just the example that won't, without modification.

> I'd love for people to try this out, to see if it works in situations
> where you might want such a thing.  (If you have a suggestion, see a
> problem, manage to break it, please do let me know!)

Using define-event-class makes the file unfit for inclusion in
multi-file runs of LilyPond since define-event-class permanently changes
LilyPond.

I'm a little confused by the word "permanently".  Here I understand that the new event-class, measure-counter-event, will persist between the files if I run a group of files containing my file, but will be gone in a new session not involving that file.  Any problems which might result will only affect that multi-file run?

I am working on a replacement
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2449>, but the
pending patch is just one of several changes needed for changing the
event class hierarchy into a per-parser item instead of a global entity.

Thank you, David--I appreciate this very much.

-David