Re: seeking tips for transcribing a modernist score

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: seeking tips for transcribing a modernist score
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 16:07:58 +0200

On 4 mai 2012, at 19:45, Justin Glenn Smith wrote:

> As a personal exercise I am attempting to reproduce a printed score from an
> ex-teacher. I have encountered a few difficulties for which I would
> appreciate suggestions.
>
> Notes have an explicit accidental even for natural (similar to the
> dodecaphonic accidentals style), but only for their first use in each measure
> (this is actually a style I have seen in other places too, for example a
> Xenakis String quartet I was studying). I looked at the scheme code for
> defining accidental styles (I have programmed in scheme before), but I
> figured I would ask here for tips or on the off chance someone has already
> defined this before attempting to define a new accidental style. Of course I
> can continue using ! to force naturals as appropriate, so this is a low
> priority issue (more an annoyance in a large score than anything else).

This is a bit thorny...you have to code it yourself.  Check out
scm/music-functions.scm for inspiration.

> I am having problems with a single measure in 8/6 time. Lilypond complains
> that it is a strange time signature (which it indeed is), and I cannot get a
> bar check to work properly (I am doing bar checks for every measure and bar
> number checks for each numbered bar to help make sure I am following the
> written score). In other cases where the bar check did not work (where a
> "whole note" rest meant a whole measure regardless of measure length, or a
> measure had a missing beat) I would use s (invisible notes) in order to
> duplicate the appearance of the original score (never sure whether the issue
> was an error or an idiom /experiment of some sort that is unfamiliar to me).
> Is there a way to do 8/6 without nesting it in \cadenzaOn and \cadenzaOff
> commands?

If you don't have notes that end at the end of the measure, the bar check will
fail, but otherwise it will succeed.

{
  \time 41/42
  \repeat unfold 40 { b1*41/42 | }
}

If you want to scale values into a bar, you can use the technique shown above.

> Relatedly, there is a rest notated as a half rest with the number 5 above it
> and the number 6 below it, which seems from context does indeed seem to be a
> rest of 5 "6th notes" - I am assuming I just need to directly tell lilypond
> to display the symbols using markup commands and use either candenza or s
> invisible notes to make the measure work? If I had written the score I would
> have just done a tempo change (which seems much more sane), but I am
> attempting to recreate an existing document.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.  A picture is worth a thousand words,
though - if I see it, I can give you better information.

Cheers,
MS