Re: Too complicated and time consuming ...

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Too complicated and time consuming ...
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 20:29:05 -0600

On 12-05-08 05:51 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
joannesmith<address@hidden>  writes:

We are in the process of making our own hymn books (we use shape notes). We
have about 450 hymns that are in paper format right now
[...]

Of course I am hoping for a somewhat easier program ... clicking and
dragging sounds very appealing to me right now! Does any such program
exist?
Does not sound like a good idea to me.  Clicking and dragging is a
reasonably efficient workflow for graphical arrangement, the kind of
thing you do with scissors and glue.  For writing, the orderly
arrangement of minuscule elements, a keyboard beats it hollow in the
hands of an experienced writer.  If you were talking about 10 hymns, the
savings in learning effort might make up for that.  But not 450.

Try using Frescobaldi<URL:http://www.frescobaldi.org>  for input: it
might make you get into an efficient entry routine somewhat faster.

Another point in favour of Frescobaldi is the ability to define your own templates, coupled with the score creation wizard. When you have a hymn set the way you like it, all voicings and spacing to your taste, save the result as a template. When starting the next, use the File | New | From template . . . and you're away. Here is a template I modified, and I apologise to the author of the rehearsalMidi function, as I cannot remember where I found it. The thing I found quite wonderful about LIlypond is shown in the template: with minor code changes, you can produce all sorts of output: piano reduction, individual scores, rehearsal MIDIs by voice (run them through timidity and LAME to get MP3s for the car CD player), a master MIDI of all voices . . . I also dump the MIDI tracks onto my electronic piano, for rehearsals when we need to slow the tempo or run individual voices.

It may be that other, proprietary programs can approach the above, but the combination of Lilypond and Frescobaldi is wonderful. My only wish, and this comes back to the OP's problem, is that I can't yet get much of a handle on Audiveris. Ah well, until then, getting a head start with the template and blasting the notes in by hand works remarkably well for me!

Cheers,
Colin "Why yes, I *do* rave about lilypond!" Campbell

--
My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.
 - Peter Golkin, museum spokesman (1966- )