Re: Too complicated and time consuming ...

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Too complicated and time consuming ...
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 11:59:09 +0200

2012/5/8 Colin Hall <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 07:27:11AM -0700, joannesmith wrote:
>> A friend suggested lilypond. I appreciate all that lilypond
>> can do, but I find that it is taking a painful amount of time!!!!
>
> You might prefer:
>
> http://musescore.org/
>
> and I have heard good reports of Noteworthy:
>
> http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/

Are these capable of shape notes? I'm not sure.

I strongly agree with that David said: _especially_ for 450 hymns, if
I were you, I'd go definitely for LilyPond. Dragging sounds might be
better only for 1-10 pieces at most, and still you'd have to edit them
all once and again when you decide to change the overall look.
Instead, learn to use the \include command for paper and layout blocks
in LilyPond.

An unexpected feature you could discover is, you can teach the basics
(just note entry) to people so they save those notes in a text file
with a distinct filename. Then you can copy and paste that into your
music declarations such as tenor = { } , then use those variables in a
template such as \score { << \new Staff { \tenor } .... >> }

Finally, I recommend Frescobaldi for everyday work. Type some notes,
hit CTRL+M, done. Errors? hit CTRL+E.

Good luck!
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)