Re: Beaming regression 2.15.39 compared to 2.14.2

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Beaming regression 2.15.39 compared to 2.14.2
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:40:45 +1000

On 24/05/12 22:17, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 24.05.2012 14:14, schrieb Nick Payne:
On 24/05/12 21:19, address@hidden wrote:
On 24 mai 2012, at 12:04, Urs Liska wrote:

Am 24.05.2012 11:57, schrieb Toine Schreurs:
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 05:13:55PM +1000, Nick Payne wrote:
In 2.14.2, the output for the second bar beams all five eighth notes
together, as I would expect. In 2.15.39, the first eighth note is not
beamed with the others:

\relative c'' {
     \time 3/4
     c8 c c c c c
     r c c c c c
}
It apparently is different from 2.14.2, but I would not call this a
regression.

In 3/4, I would like to have 6 eights beamed together, but if any
rests are involved, the beaming should be per quarter in order to
preserve the 3-beat character. In:

\relative c'' {
    \time 3/4
     r4 r8 c c c
  }

the default beaming in 2.14.2 gives an impression of a 2-beat, which should
be avoided.

Toine Schreurs

Just one comment, a question that I had several times when reading such reports.
Don't know if this applies here, but:
A regression is something that doesn't work in a later version and that has _deliberately_ worked in a previous version. I.e. something that has once been fixed to work in that specific way.
If it just was correct and isn't anymore, it isn't considered a regression but just a newly introduced bug.
Best
Urs
Still a regression. Any change in behavior that is not fully accounted for in the change log and that you feel leads to worse behavior than a previous version is a regression.  People can then either report it as a change, at which point it is a feature, or they can fix it, at which point the old functionality is restored.

Reverting to the previous behaviour is simply a matter of

\set beamExceptions = #'((end . (((1 . 8) . (6)))))

Nick

Well, not having followed this too closely:
I have the impression that you experience an effect or side effect of the heavily changed beaming.

It this is the case, could you please check if this is documented? Maybe you overlooked something.
Or maybe there's need for a documentations suggestion?
My search of the documentation regarding beaming didn't find much information on what the defaults are/are intended to be:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/learning/automatic-and-manual-beams
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/beams

I had a look in Gould - she merely says that in 3/4 time, any number of eighth notes can be beamed together. However, I would say that in 3/4 time, if you're default is to beam six eighth notes together, then r8 c c c c c should be beamed as either r8 c[ c c c c] (i.e. 2.14 behaviour) or r8 c c[ c] c[ c], but not the current 2.15.39 default of r8 c c[ c c c].

Nick