Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:42:33 -0500

On May 24, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Jeff Barnes wrote:

> Wouldn't your time be more wisely spent trying to get corporate sponsors? I
> see a lot more success stories in the open source world where a corporation
> donates developers to projects the company have an interest in.

Hmm.  OpenOffice for example?*

> As in, 1) convince a large publishing house they'd be better off relying on
> an open source music engraver, 2) get hired by them and 3) bingo, your dream
> job.
>
> There are risks. The project could fork, the corporation may have different
> goals than yours, etc.

Those are not risks.  They are guarantees.  And most assuredly few corporate
sponsors would permit the project to be published under the GPL.  The notion of
"owing" intellectual property has become so very deeply ingrained in corporate
culture around the world that the GPL is a dealbreaker.  The notion of users
having freedom is anathema to most.

*That is sarcasm, in case you have not done your homework about OpenOffice.