Re: Footnote problem with \default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Footnote problem with \default
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 06:19:52 +0200

Nick Payne <address@hidden> writes:

> The footnote documentation in the NR 3.2.3 says that one can use
> \default at the end of a footnote command to attach the footnote to a
> moment of time rather than a particular item. If I do this, then the
> console shows a lot of identical programming error and warning
> messages, and the footnote appears multiple times in the
> output. Remove the \default at the end of the footnote command and
> everything works fine.
>
> %========================
> \version "2.15.40"
>
> \paper {
>     #(set-paper-size "a6")
> }
>
> \relative c'' {
>     \footnote #'(-1.5 . 1.5) \markup { Footnote } \default
>     c c c c
> }
> %========================

music

    This is the item, a music event or chord constituent or post-event,
    that is being annotated. While it cannot be omitted, it can be
    replaced by \default in which case the footnote is not attached to a
    music expression in particular, but rather to a moment of time. It
    is mandatory in this case to use the grob-name argument for
    selecting an affected grob type, like ‘#'TimeSignature’.

I think the last sentence is rather clear.  See also
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2547> which has
been orphaned at the moment.

--
David Kastrup