Re: tunefl and other web services

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: tunefl and other web services
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 19:41:20 +0200

Tim Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>>
>> Commercial services are ok, but non-Free software is not.  The GNU
>> coding standards are quite clear on this:
>>
>> "A GNU program should not recommend, promote, or grant legitimacy
>> to the use of any non-free program. Proprietary software is a
>> social and ethical problem, and our aim is to put an end to that
>> problem."
>> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/References.html
>
> The phrase "should not" merely means that one must feel guilty when
> doing so.  It is not a prohibition.

We are not working against the GNU project, but as a part of it.  There
is nobody we would need to be guilty about, but it is distasteful to not
heed one's own standards.

> In other words, that's a philosophical statement, not a legal
> statement.

The GNU Manifesto is also not a legal statement, but a philosophical
one.  LilyPond is a GNU project and thus has subscribed to this
philosophy.  I did not remember plans to change that, and it is not like
it has served us badly.

--
David Kastrup