Re: Issues with timidity, and the MIDI output

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Issues with timidity, and the MIDI output
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 18:40:34 +0200

2012/7/8 Rokil <address@hidden>:
> Hi everybody, I'm new here, and I'm trying to arrange "Bella Ciao" for
> my jazzband.
>
> And to check my work, I wanted to hear it, so I tried with Timidity++.
>
> Here's my code (thanks to SefandeVries! ;)):
> http://paste.awesom.eu/Gloomy/W0j&ln
> If I try to make it savable as a MIDI, I tried to add \set
> midiInstrument to each instrument:
> http://paste.awesom.eu/Gloomy/EfK&ln
>
> So I try "timidity bella_ciao.midi", and it output me:
>
> "
> $ timidity bella_ciao.midi
> Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192
> ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 33868, period size 3760 bytes
> Playing bella_ciao.midi
> MIDI file: bella_ciao.midi
> Format: 1  Tracks: 5  Divisions: 384
> Sequence: control track
> Text: creator:
> Text: GNU LilyPond 2.14.2
> Track name: Violon:
> Track name: Clarinette:
> Track name: SaxAlto:
> Track name: Guitar:
> No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 0 - this instrument will
> not be heard
> No pre-resampling cache hit
> Last 7 MIDI events are ignored
> Playing time: ~33 seconds
> Notes cut: 0
> Notes lost totally: 0
> "
>
> And I just hear a treble tone...
>

> Could someone help me?
> Thank you so much :)

Hi,

take care of the brackets. Why do you use them here: {\set
midiInstrument = #"violin"}

I'd suggest to put instrumentName and midiInstrument into \with { ... }

\score {
        <<
        \new Staff = "Violon" \with {
                        instrumentName = \markup {"Violon Ut"}
                        midiInstrument = #"violin"
                        }
                \melodieUt

        \new Staff = "Clarinette" \with {
                        instrumentName = \markup {"Clar. Si"\smaller \flat}
                        midiInstrument = #"clarinet"
                        }
                        { \transpose sib do' \melodieUt }

        \new Staff = "SaxAlto" \with {
                        instrumentName = \markup {"Sax Alt Mi"\smaller \flat}
                        midiInstrument = #"alto sax"
                        }
                { \transpose mib do' \melodieUt }

        \new Staff = "Guitar" \with {
                        instrumentName = \markup {"Guitar Ut"}
                        midiInstrument = #"acoustic guitar (nylon)"
                        }
                \chordmode {
                        re2:m re:m re:m re:m re:m re:m re:m
                        la:7 la:7 sol:m sol:m re:m re:m la:7 la:7 re:m
                }

\midi {}
\layout {}
}