Re: tunefl and other web services

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: tunefl and other web services
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 05:13:22 +0100

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 05:57:02AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Mike Blackstock <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I agree. As I pointed out, the model was meant to personify Aquinas'
> > definition of 'beauty' and tie that in with the beauty of Lilypond. We
> > disagree on what 'sleaze' is. Not how 'gatekeeper' comes into play and
> > as for marketing - well, this is free, and I'm defering to the
> > judgment of the Debian Linux ad, as I thought I made clear.
>
> The Debian ad goes to a bit more effort than depicting an arbitrary
> snapshot of a woman in a swimsuit.  And I still don't see them pulling
> this off convincingly either.

Wait a moment -- *what* Debian ad?  The 2.bp.blogspot.com image
has the url linu...blogspot.com, which redirects me to some
spam-ish site.  There's no way that's an official Debian
advertisement.

Look folks, anybody can slap some text onto an image.  Back in
2001, I found a set of jpegs of naked girls that somebody had
photoshopped (or "gimped") Linux mascots onto.  Those weren't
official "linux" advertisements; it was obviously just some horny
teenagers who thought it would be cute[1] to slap some Linux
penguins onto chicks.

[1] to be fair, at the time I was in my very early 20s, and I
thought it was funny too.  Also, there was one picture of a girl
in a waterfall that was particularly hot.  I can't remember any
specifics of the images, though.

- Graham