Graphical scores

From: Thomas Baruchel
Subject: Graphical scores
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:36:50 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

is it possible to use lilypond for typesetting some (not too much)
graphical scores? To be more precise, I would like to know a little
about "absolute positionning" of notes.

Is it possible for instance to "center" (horizontally) notes on the staff
(and to choose where I cant my "line-breaking" in the melody)?
For instance, can I do something like that (ascii art, monospaced font should
be used for reading the following lines):

  o o o
  o o o

where each 'o' is some whole note? (As you probably understood, I don't
want any bar here, but I already managed to remove the bars with some
previous help).

If I do the previous thing, can I add some other notes (for instance
quarter notes) all around without 'disturbing' the initial structure?
For instance, with 'o' being some whole note and '.' being some shorter
note:
      o..
    . o
   .. o .
     .o.
      o....
where the whole notes are vertically aligned (and horizontally centered).

It's OK if I have to do some maths for computing the exact position
of each note, but in this case, how can I tell that I want such note
at such or such horizontal location on such or such staff?

Thank you by advance,

--
B.