Lilypond syntax

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Lilypond syntax
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:01:01 -0500

Some weeks back there was some discussion of the Lilypond syntax, I made some
suggestions and was asked to write up a sample .ly file with the ideas I had in
mind.  Basically my notion was to separate content (notes and chords) from form
(number of bars, repeats, codas, rehearsal marks, etc.) in how things are coded
into .ly files.  I've been playing around with that some and here is a sample
.ly file with some of those ideas.  They may be terrible ideas, they may be
impractical, they might require a total rewrite of Lilypond to implement, etc.
I think like a musician, not a programmer, after all.  To me the form is the
container of the music and it makes sense to specify the form first and then
place the music within it.  Others may see this very differently.

The file is four bars of "Interplay" by Bill Evans with four parts.

Tim