Re: New question - Threepenny Opera. Urgent, please help!

From: Gerard McConnell
Subject: Re: New question - Threepenny Opera. Urgent, please help!
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:57:20 +0100

Well, if you can't transpose at sight yourself and you haven't got time to write it out in full then you have several options.

First, learn to play it in the original key, then write the chord symbols in the NEW key above the piano part and learn to play your own arrangement in the new key.   This is the best option for your development as a musician.

Second, get a student to write it out in full; he/she will do it cheap.

Third, as David Kastrup said, you could borrow or rent a keyboard (and amp/speakers?) with a transpose button for the performance. Of course it depends on whether that's appropriate for the gig.

Fourth, hire a more experienced musician to play/transpose it for the performance.

Finally, if none of the above work, get back to me to write it out for you.  This will be the most expensive option.

My advice is, if you can't manage option one then hire the more experienced pianist.

All the best,
Gerard