Waltrop travel details

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Waltrop travel details
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:12:58 +0200

The last travel details in a nutshell:

Landline is +49-2309-782756, my mobile phone +49-16092087547.  Address
is Im Knäppen 63, Waltrop.  OpenStreetMap does not even show it while
Google Maps is quite accurate.  If that is a concern to you, bring your
own GPS device and fix it.

If you are using public transport all the way to Waltrop Elmenhorst (bus
station), you'll need fares from the local transport organization VRR,
available in ticket vending machines (not in advance).

>From Dortmund Hbf: Einzelticket Preisstufe B, €4.90
>From Düsseldorf: Einzelticket Preisstufe D, €12.00

Those tickets are _not_ valid for high-speed trains (ICE, IC, EC,
Thalys).  High-speed trains don't offer relevant time savings for those
connections, tickets cost about double, and _don't_ include local
transport like subways and buses.  Train tickets from outside of the VRR
area (like from Cologne) also don't include local transport.

If you are looking at the train departure tables, make sure that they
are yellow (the white ones are only for arrivals usually), and don't
sport a large "S" watermark (large railroad stations tend to have
separate departure tables for the glacially slow S-Bahn local
transport).

Usable trains from Düsseldorf to Dortmund tend to be called
"Regionalexpress" or "Stadtexpress" and take about an hour.

Inside of Dortmund Hbf, you enter the subway U41 direction "Brambauer"
and take it to its end point "Brambauer Verkehrshof", travel time 23
minutes (now is the time to call when you are arriving late or on the
weekend when the bus service is spotty).

>From the subway end station, you can take the Bus 284 direction
"Waltrop, Am Moselbach", exiting it at "Waltrop Elmenhorst".  It does
not come all that often: check the schedule in case it makes more sense
to get yourself picked up in Brambauer already.  If the bus _is_ handy,
and you consider walking after taking the bus, those last 900m will be
hard to find without a map printout.  Basically you walk through the
street that has its dead end at the bus station, then continue right
until you come to a wooden horse.  You take the path there and follow it
until getting to the second farm house.

The wooden horse is also the waymark for people arriving by car.

--
David Kastrup