Re: subito dynamic after hairpin

From: wjm
Subject: Re: subito dynamic after hairpin
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:35:51 +1200

On 23/08/12 00:36, Phil Holmes wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "wjm" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; "Lilypond-User List"
<address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:32 PM

From your reply...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Given that sfz is equal to subito-forzando
> (see
> http://piano.about.com/od/termsrelatingtodynamics/g/GL_subito.htm)

That page at piano.about.com is incorrect (and silly). sfz is not
equal to subito forzando; it seems that the English-speaking about.com
writers weren't sure what any of these words meant, and decided that
instead of simply checking an Italian dictionary, they would make
something up. In fact, "sforzando" is an ordinary and legitimate word,
not an abbreviation for anything else, and in fact the word "subito"
is rarely (probably never) represented in scores by a single letter
"s" - too vague. ("sub." gets used fairly often, but perhaps even
more often the word is spelled out.)

It's sad that people (this is directed at the about.com hacks, not at
you) see fit to publish made-up definitions of words they don't know.

My criticism of the clueless & irresponsible writers of that page has
no bearing on the value of what you have contributed to the Lilypond
discussion. While your discovery is (through no fault of yours)
probably not useful in this particular situation, I hope it proves
useful for other purposes.

I have no intention of taking part in a war of words :)
The following links might shed a faint light on the 'confusion' at the
site I quoted (assuming 'they' know what they're talking about - I'm
in no position to judge!)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sforzando
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/subito
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamics_%28music%29#Words.2Fphrases_indicating_changes_of_dynamics

Particularly note the image in the TR coner of this page
'Subito forzando' and 'piano' dynamics in Beethoven's String Quartet
in A Major, Op. 18, no. 5, III, variation I, m. 7-8.

So does sfz mean sforzando or subito forzando ? :)

Would explaining what "subito mf" means to a possibly not completely
erudite set of performers be any more difficult than explaining what
"smf" means?

Oh well.

I thought English was bad enough in having two ways of doing things -
apparently the Italians do as well.

Regards
Bill

Looks like an internet urban myth.  My Grove does not mention sforzando
as being anything other than being from the Italian for forced.  My
Chambers dictionary defines it as coming from the present participle of
the Italian sforzare.

--
Phil Holmes

? Any Italian linguists out there??
:)
'Nuff said.

However, if a prepositioned-s before any dynamic is meaningful why doesn't LP include them 'all' in the dynamics definition file.

"The available dynamic marks are \ppppp, \pppp, \ppp, \pp, \p, \mp, \mf, \f, \ff, \fff, \ffff, \fffff, \fp, \sf, \sff, \sp, \spp, \sfz, and \rfz." (NR)

What exactly is the meaning of sff? In my limited experience singing with a small chamber choir I saw sfz but don't recall ever seeing sff or any other s-dynamic.

Regards
Bill