Re: Re:[for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Re:[for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:42:52 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Felipe Castro" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 12:35 PM
Subject: Re:[for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:38:58 -0300
From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>

"extensor" sounds good to me in Portuguese.

I agree. And this makes me think about my translation to esperanto,
where I used the word "disigi" (spread), and now I see I should change
it to "etendi" (extend).

Han-Wen, instead of "spanner", in English, would you use "extender"?
I'm not asking to change, just wondering if both words are equivalent
in this case.

Replying as a native English speaker. No, I don't believe I would. An extender would be something that makes something extend - i.e. makes it longer. A spanner (in this context) is something that spans. So we could call a bridge a river spanner (although I don't believe anyone ever actually would).

--
Phil Holmes