Re: LC_PAPER and default paper size

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LC_PAPER and default paper size
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 07:27:26 +0200

Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

> Quoting David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>
>> What is wrong with specifying the paper size you want in the \paper
>> block?
>
> I want to make the scores available to everybody.  I want users across
> the world to be able to find the music, create the PDF and print it
> with no problems on the paper they have.

But they will have problems when their paper size is one you have not
tested.

> Specifying \paper would make the choice for the users.  Printers might
> ask for paper that is not readily available.  Actually, Mutopia
> doesn't want \paper to be specified.

Probably because they want scores to work (or not) consistently out of
the box (which in this case means that the default favors the majority
of the world rather than the U.S.A., as opposed to what LaTeX does).

>> More often than not, the global staff size and manual tweaks are set
>> to achieve a certain page layout.  If LilyPond changed its behavior
>> on different computers, stuff would stop working without the user
>> having a clue that this was not intended output.
>
> Now that's a strong argument against LC_PAPER.  I'm guilty of making
> such tweaks too.

Of course it happens to some degree with major version changes as well.
But it is rare that something _stops_ fitting due to spacing changes.

--
David Kastrup