Re: PDF information issues

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: PDF information issues
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 07:39:36 +1000

On 06/09/12 04:25, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
Poking around my system today, I noticed two interesting things about
the PDFs generated by LilyPond.

1) There is no metadata associated with the PDF.  Well, the producer
and creator are set to the appropriate software.  However, when a
top-level title is available (for a book or a score), it would be cool
to embed that in the PDF.

2) Conversely, the editing URIs embedded in the PDF represent a
security risk.  If I share a PDF created with LilyPond, full absolute
file paths from my computer are exposed.  Admittedly, this is a very,
very small risk, but it is still one to consider.  I could not find a
command-line option to disable this; an option to make the paths
relative would also be useful, I think.

You can put metadata fields in the header block, though this doesn't seem to be documented in the manuals. See example below. The fields prefaced with 'pdf' are metadata that doesn't appear in the printed output.

The paths embedded in the PDF output are there so that while creating a score, with an appropriate editing environment you can click on an element in the PDF and jump to the location of that element in the ly source file. Adding \pointAndClickOff to the ly file before generating your final PDF for publication removes the paths in the final PDF.

%=================
\version "2.16.0"

\pointAndClickOff

\header {
    title = "Title of the piece"
    pdftitle = "This will appear in the metadata Title field"
    composer = "Composer of the piece"
    pdfcomposer = "This will appear in the metadata Author field"
}

\relative c' { c4 }

Nick