Re: Subject: Re: lilypond manual intro

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: lilypond manual intro
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:33:27 +0200

"Peter Gentry" <address@hidden> writes:

> Having had my share of gripes re the manuals I am now a "born again"
> supporter - they are great (not perfect) but great.
>
> I recommend that you download all the relevant manuals as pdfs to a
> folder withing your Lilypond data file group and use the
> information. As an example I noticed that \markuplines now
> produces an error message - one quick search for \markuplines found
> the changes manual which explained a rename - took about 20
> seconds (mostly slow grey cell time).

Well, it is probably hard to beat those 20 seconds, but in a pinch: you
know this worked under 2.14, so slap a
\version "2.14.2"
on your file and run convert-ly -ed on it.  Chances are that convert-ly
will fix the problem or at least mention some useful thought about it.

> The notation manual is particularly good - the learning manual is fine
> never seen a problem with writing exclusively in absolute.
>
> Like most normal people I find relative hard to get my head round and
> always end up with the wrong octave somewhere or other usually
> ending up beyond the range of the human ear. If you import music from
> other programs absolute is the way to go - why is relative
> favoured so much?

It's nice for mostly scale-based sequences.

> Imagine reading a printed score if it used relative notation (if that
> were possible).

Staffless neumes.

--
David Kastrup