Re: F-flat Key Signature

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: F-flat Key Signature
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:50:18 +1000

On 19 September 2012 21:11, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

> So like in a Fifo buffer the first accidentals (f sharp or b flat a.s.o.)
> are bumped out -> the double accidentals go at the end.

Yes, it seems the order is correct, it just looks strange because I’ve
never seen such a key signature ‘in the wild’.

> I'm not sure however in which cases it really should make sense to have such
> keys as general key signatures. Of course these keys occur (although
> sparingly) in real music, but usually only temporarily.

I appreciate the difference between sharps & flats more than many
musicians, but even I would introduce an enharmonic change rather than
use a key signature with a double-flat, if only to save time at
rehearsal:

“Where‘s the B flat?”

I explain there’s a B double-flat, and the key is F flat major.

“Why didn’t you write E major?”

...to which I wouldn’t have a good answer, and wouldn’t be able to
explain to anyone even if I did :-)